Saturday, February 13, 2010

Emergent Understandings on Reincarnation

I don't claim to know any more on a subject than anyone else. I consider myself to be an action researcher, meaning that my whole life and all of my beliefs are experimental. I love to dabble in ancient mysteries. When I find a new angle on an age old question, I share it with friends and as many as will listen and then I watch to see how the idea morphs based on input.

My bottom line for what is "real" or "true" is this: "If I am still walking in the flesh I am certainly not correct about all my assumptions. Only when I've left this body and merged with God could I understand what is true."

Recently I had a deep experience while using hemispheric synchronization. During that time I came to see reincarnation and past life experiences in a new light. I'd love to dangle this idea before you and see how it sits with you.

There are more people alive on the earth right now than there are dead people in the history of the earth. For a number of years I took that to mean that there are "new souls" and "old souls". The idea worked for a time, but I frequently got hung up on that because it was yet another way to rate, rank and discriminate between people. It seemed there was no easy way to use this mental model in conversation without finding myself sounding judgemental and superior. And whether or not there is any truth in that construct doesn't really matter to me because if an idea leads toward judgment and superiority then it is not an idea which serves any of us.

Einstein and the Law of Thermodynamics showed us that energy is neither created nor destroyed, it is simply recycled thoughout the system. For some years I've been playing with the idea that there is some fixed quantity of soul energy and that if there are many more people alive in the current era then there must be a smaller quantity of soul matter per person. If together we are all ONE Great Soul, then with this high population we are all only tiny fragments of the oversoul.

Two and a half weeks ago this idea took on some new depth for me. Let us, for the sake of example, pick out a random and somewhat minor character from history, like John Donne. Donne was a 17th Century Brittish Poet. Suppose that there are half a dozen people in the current era who have a deeply powerful connection to Donne's poetry. Suppose those six people have transformative and life altering experiences when reading his work. Perhaps a few of them even begin to feel as if they were Donne himself. Under some of our old concepts this could produce a conflict. They couldn't all be Donne. Or could they?

Perhaps there was one soul in the 17th Century which inhabited John Donne's body. But as the population went up each soul became more fragmented and in this era there could actually be some number of people who together were Donne? Another way to put this is that there is not a 1:1 ratio between a past soul and a present soul.

Let us, for the moment, assume this is how it works. The older the historical character, the more fragmentation would have occurred and thus, the greater the number of present day souls who could make a claim on having had a past life as Socrates or Cleopatra. The number of people who claim to have had a big and powerful life like Cleopatra has always been a sticking point in reincarnation doctrine. I've seen it explained away in several ways:
  • Perhaps these people (who claimed to be her) were actually servants and slaves of Cleopatra
  • Perhaps these people read alot about her and then forgot about it, and are now delusional
  • Perhaps these people are attuned in some way to a universal archetype going by the name of Cleopatra

None of these arguments ever got any of us very far. So, for the time being, I'm sticking with the notion that a number of present day people could have together comprised one past life.

For myself, I've had a couple of very vivid past life regressions. I think that it is a gift to the present day being to gain deeper understanding of previous lives. I wouldn't want anyone to lose the gifts of their own deeply personal spiritual experiences because of the conflict of competing with another person who also as a stake on some historical figure.

And if we go back far enough... we are ALL ONE anyway.

In love and light,

Tree of Terrapin Hollow

No comments:

Post a Comment